Lucketts has a range of vehicles suitable for passengers with disabilities, however it’s important that we we know about your requirements at the time of booking to ensure that your needs are met at each stage of the journey.
Getting on and off the vehicle
If you or any of your party will need assistance getting on or off a coach, please contact us. Our drivers and escorts are not permitted to lift or carry passengers on and off coaches, or take any other action that may put their own health, safety and welfare at risk. Our drivers are happy to assist with the loading and unloading of luggage from the coach, but will need assistance with items over 20kgs.
Subject to our vehicles’ loading capacity, we can sometimes transport lightweight, manual wheelchairs, provided they are able to be stowed in the luggage hold of the coach. We regret that we are unable to accept manual wheelchairs that are more than 20kgs. Please let us know at the time of booking if you wish to travel with a wheelchair.
Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs
When we have room we are also able to transport small mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs subject to the following:
- We must be notified of your requirements at least one week prior to departure. If the disabled passenger needs to travel in their wheelchair in the main cabin of the coach we have vehicles that can accommodate this, providing the wheelchair fits within the dimensions below. If the wheelchair exceeds the dimensions or we are unable to restrain the chair safely, the passenger will be unable to travel in this way.
- If the disabled passenger needs to travel in their wheelchair in the main cabin of the coach, the wheelchair, occupant and an assistant must not exceed a combined weight of 300kgs, as this is the safe working load for the wheelchair lift.
- The disabled passenger is required to wear the seat belt supplied and any seat restraint mechanism must be securely and correctly fitted.
- If the scooter or powered wheelchair will be stowed in the luggage hold it must break down into separate parts each weighing no more than 20kgs. The disabled customer must also be accompanied at the point of departure and arrival by a companion who is able to dismantle and reassemble the powered wheelchair or scooter to enable stowage in the coach. Our drivers and escorts are not permitted to dismantle or reassemble mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs that have been approved for travel.
- The powered wheelchair or scooter must be operated by dry cell batteries only.
- That we have sufficient additional room in the hold to carry the item.
The more information we have about your requirements, the better prepared we will be to meet your needs when you travel with us. If you would like to discuss any of the above please do not hesitate to contact us.
Fully trained and approved assistance dogs may be accepted under certain circumstances, but is subject to the following:
- The owner is responsible for all aspects of adequate travel and accommodation and will be subject to an additional fouling charge.
- If the assistance dog is unable to lie at the passenger’s feet an additional charge will apply.
- Aisles are not to be blocked for safety reasons.
- No other animals are to be carried.
We allow passengers who require personal oxygen supplies to carry them in hand held bottles, however, other suppliers such as ferry companies or the Channel Tunnel operator may refuse them.
Our drivers and escorts are not permitted to:
- Assist passengers with eating or personal hygiene.
- Provide medical services such as giving injections. If a medical condition requires others to provide this type of care, the passenger should travel with a companion who can assist them during the journey.
- Provide personal care services during the journey.
Lucketts Travel will not accept liability for any damage to personal property howsoever caused.
We welcome feedback and comments from disabled customers about how we can improve our service to you.
In meeting these commitments, we will take into account the Equality Act 2010 as it applies to coach operations.
Safety & Disability Ts & Cs V.4 November 2016